All high school seniors can begin applying to colleges as early as August for most schools.
Not sure where to begin? We are here to help!
Step One: Complete College Applications
Whether you are applying to a college in-state or out-of-state, it is important to get familiar with the different types of college admission applications available to students.
Aside from Common Application and ApplyTexas, many colleges also have the option for you to submit the admission application directly from their website.
1. Common Application (students will link their Common App account to Naviance in order to simplify the process of sending transcripts and test scores to colleges)
3. College/University website
*Be mindful of college application fees because they can really add up! Note that many colleges offer an application fee waiver, if you qualify.
Step Two: Submit Request for Transcript and Test Scores
Please follow these steps on how to request your transcript and/or test scores in Naviance for college applications. Note that some colleges may still require students to submit test official scores through their CollegeBoard account to be considered official.
1. Login to your Naviance Student account
2. Go to the "Colleges" tab
3. Click on "Colleges I'm Applying To". Then click on the plus sign inside of the pink circle.
4. Begin typing the school's name and select the school.
5. Select the application type--Regular Decision, Early Action, Early Decision, Rolling (*If you are unsure, please check your application document and/or ask Ms. Romero)
6. Indicate how you are applying (Common App, Direct to Institution, etc.)
7. Click "Add and request transcript"
8. Select "Initial" transcript, and select if you would like me to include test scores (if necessary, but many schools are test-optional for fall 2022). If the school is requesting a "Mid-Year" transcript from you, then you will select that option.
9. Click "Request and Finish"
NOTE: Allow 48 hours for your Counselor to process transcript requests. Students can check their transcript request status by clicking the "Manage Transcripts" tab.
*Final transcripts are not sent to colleges until all final grades are posted at the end of May.
Step Three: Submit Additional Documents
Once you have submitted your application, be sure to turn in all other required documents in order for an admission decision to be made in a timely manner. Checking your email regularly for status updates from the colleges you have applied to is very important! While every college is different, most will require you to submit some of the following items:
1. Resume- (Create in Naviance)
2. Letter(s) of Recommendation- (Allow Counselor/Teacher a two week notice)
3. Essay/Personal Statement
4. Official AP Scores through Collegeboard (if applicable)
5. Official OLLU College Transcript for Dual Credit courses (if applicable)
Step Four: Wait for an Admission Decision Letter
Once you have submitted all necessary documents in order to complete your admission application(s), you can expect to receive a status update from the college(s) within 4-6 weeks. In the meantime, continue applying for scholarships to help pay for college! Visit the Scholarship Resources page for more info!